Did you know that just a simple massage can do wonders for your breastmilk supply? Find out more about oxytocin massage, how it helps with breastfeeding, and how to do it in the comfort of your home!
What is Oxytocin Massage?
Oxytocin massage is a form of back massage that is intended to facilitate the release of breast milk. This massage zeroes in on a certain part of the spine which can stimulate the production of the hormone oxytocin in the body.
The hormone oxytocin is a “happy hormone” that triggers the let-down reflex. It’s just one of the two hormones needed for lactation, though. The other hormone is called prolactin In a nutshell, prolactin stimulates breastmilk production while oxytocin helps the breastmilk flow.
So what can we do to trigger the release of the oxytocin hormone? A light, gentle, and low-intensity touch. Such is why an oxytocin massage is one of the best and easiest ways to improve your breastfeeding experience. Even better, an oxytocin massage also stops the production of the “stress hormone” cortisol!
Oxytocin massage makes a bigger impact if it’s done by the husband. Breastfeeding mamas will feel accompanied, loved, and cared for during the breastfeeding process.
Who knew a simple touch can actually be a source of happiness for the whole family? Full breasts, happy baby! Happy mama, happy papa!
A Step-by-Step Guide To Perform Oxytocin Massage
- Take up a comfortable sitting position facing a wall or table. Use a pillow to support the front of your body.
- Start massaging from the neck and spine.
- Massage using your thumb. Move your thumbs in a circular motion from neck to spine. Do this for 1 minute.
- Perform the same movement from the base of the skull across the shoulder blades.
- Gently massage the back using your thumb in a circular motion along the entire spine, from top to bottom. Repeat from the bottom up.
- Use your fist to massage the entire back with gentle pressure. Do this until Mama feels more relaxed.
- Lastly, sweep the entire back with a warm, comfortable touch.
Ideally, an oxytocin massage should be done for 3-5 minutes at a time. However, this can be extended until Mama feels more relaxed.
Residing in the hypothalamus, the oxytocin hormone sends a signal to the brain that will flow to the heart through the rest of the body. The effect of this hormone has an impact on both physical and emotional health. Happiness, attraction, love, affection, and care will become part of our behavior, especially to those closest to them, such as your husband and baby.
Massage Tips for Breastfeeding Mamas
- We recommend that you massage without your clothes so that the pressure is felt more and more pronounced.
- Breastfeeding Mamas should not be hungry when enjoying a massage so that breast milk can be produced immediately
- Perform oxytocin massage before breastfeeding or pumping milk.
- Use a massage oil to make increase relaxation level. Choose an oil formula that is safe for pregnant and breastfeeding women.
One such product is Mama’s Choice Relaxing Massage Oil, which features a safe and natural blend of ingredients such as lavender oil, grapefruit oil, and orange oil. Safe to use during pregnancy and breastfeeding, this massage oil can help Mamas feel more relaxed, improve sleep quality, improve blood circulation, boost their mood, and nourish their skin when used during a massage.
Five minutes, a few soothing touches, and pregnancy-safe massage oil are just what you need to make a difference in Mama’s breastfeeding journey!
Did you like this article? Click the share button and help us grow the Mama’s Choice community!
Hanna of Mama's Choice
A mama of one energetic toddler, Hanna likes to read books, watch baking shows, and play video games when her little one is asleep.