Are you obsessed with sheet masks like we are? We’re giving you some of the best sheet mask benefits that will convince you to incorporate this into your pregnancy skincare routine!
It’s not just K-drama or K-pop that have risen in popularity in the last few years, but K-beauty too. We probably have your favourite K-drama actress sporting a sheet mask in an episode or two And one of the inexpensive but iconic products to emerge from South Korea is sheet masks.
What is a sheet mask, you ask? It’s basically a mask in the form of a sheet, which can be made of fiber, cotton, bamboo, or something else. It comes with holes for the eyes and mouth, and a slit on the nose area because it’s designed to go over your face for an indulgence facial straight out of a pouch. This single-use magical skincare item comes in a variety of concoctions. From brightening and soothing to rejuvenating and hydrating, there’s a sheet mask for virtually any and every skincare concern.
In an article published on Women’s Health, New York-based dermatologist Dendy Engelman, M.D., explained that “sheet masks have a higher concentration of actives than a topical product, and depending on the material, the sheet can help deliver products deeper into the skin.”
If you’re new to this K-beauty must-have and worried about how it really works, we’re rounding up the best sheet mask benefits and tips and tricks to get the most out of your sheet mask!
5 Sheet Mask Benefits
1. They target a variety of skin types and problems
Whatever your skincare concern is, you’re bound to find a sheet mask just for that. Some sheet masks are specifically made for those with dry skin, while some sheet masks come with brightening ingredients. But no matter what skin trouble you have, you can bet that you will feel your skin become softer, plumper, and more supple after using one.
2. They’re inexpensive
Unlike a trip to your favorite facialist, which can cost you an arm and leg, a sheet mask is another way to treat your skin without breaking the bank. If you’re new to the sheet mask scene, you can buy them either in boxes or a single pouch. The latter is great if you want to sample a few options first.
Even better, this is one way to try the whole range available without having to worry about the cost. With a sheet mask, it’s affordable but still does its job well.
3. They’re simple and easy to use
If you’re pregnant or busy raising a tot, time may not be on your side with all the chores and worries on your mind. Fret not, because a sheet mask is made just for those with no time to spare. Sheet masks are extremely easy to use. After you wash your face, just open up the packaging, plop it over your face, wait for 15-20 minutes, pat the serum into your face, and you’re done.
4. They’re relaxing and therapeutic
Sheet masks are just as good for your overall well-being as it is for your skin. Just taking the time to sit still and relax even just for 20 minutes is an incredible way to quiet your mind and uplift your spirit. It would be even better if you use a sheet mask that comes with aromatic essential oils!
5. They enhance your skin’s appearance quickly
Sheet masks ensure that all the nourishing ingredients penetrate deeper into the skin. With this, it hydrates your skin faster, which is a key factor in keeping your skin looking healthy and glowing.
7 Tips To Make The Most Out Of Sheet Masks
Using a sheet mask is pretty simple. But little do you know, there are a few tips and tricks that can help you maximize the effectiveness of your favorite K-beauty products.
1. Before you use a sheet mask, make sure you wash your face well. You can even exfoliate your face beforehand, so you can get rid of any dead skin cells that can get in the way of your skin absorbing the vitamins and nutrients in your sheet mask.
Also Read: How To Properly Wash Your Face
2. Massage the pouch before you open it. This way, all the essence inside will be soaked up by the sheet mask.
3. Make sure your skin is moist or damp before putting it on. If you want to incorporate it into your skincare routine, you can use it before you apply an eye cream or a moisturizer.
4. Make sure you smooth out the sheet mask on your face. This way, every inch of your skin will be able to absorb the nutrients and benefits of your sheet mask.
5. Don’t let the sheet mask dry on your face. Some sheet mask newbies leave the sheet mask too long on their faces, which is not recommended. Instead, follow the duration indicated in the instruction. More often than not, it’s recommended to leave on for 15-20 minutes. As a rule, your skin should still be moist when you remove it.
6. Don’t wash your face immediately after using a sheet mask. Allow your skin to soak up the remaining serum. Even better, massage the serum left on your face and in the packaging! Using the tips of your fingers, massage the remaining serum in the pouch or on the sheet for better absorption. For an even better massage experience, use a facial massager.
7. Check the ingredients. If you’re pregnant, make sure you watch out for ingredients that can be harmful or harsh to your skin like retinol and salicylic acid. As much as possible, go for alcohol-free sheet masks and those that are suitable for sensitive skin.
The Takeaway on Sheet Masks
Inexpensive and incredibly beneficial for the skin, sheet masks are a wonderful way to pamper your skin. Even for those with no set skincare routine, a sheet mask helps elevate your skincare game with minimal effort!
And for pregnant mamas who already have so much to worry about, a sheet mask is a game-changer. Use it once a week or three times a week, it’s all up to you, Mama! Just make sure you find one that is absolutely safe for pregnancy.
Did you find our article about the benefits of sheet masks helpful? Then, click the share button and help another Mama discover the wonders of this K-beauty must-have!
Mama's Choice Team
A team of passionate writers, young mamas, and creative superheroes who help mamas face motherhood one educational article at a time!